Hey, I’m Brian.
I’m a product designer, podcaster, and writer, currently living in San Francisco. Right now I’m building native mobile apps at GitHub. Let’s grab a coffee.
I like to think out loud about design, development, and building products.
- Product Design PortfoliosA living list of useful and inspiring product design portfolios.Updated 1 week ago
- Incrementally Correct Personal WebsitesIt's time to change the way I think about building and maintaining my personal website.Updated 2 weeks ago
- Automating the Boring Parts of Product DesignBuilding Figma plugins to automate the boring parts of product design.Updated 3 weeks ago
- The Meta Skills of Product DesignExploring the meta skills that product designers can use to learn faster, work on more impactful products, or collaborate with more interesting people.Updated 3 weeks ago
- The Death of Designer UnicornsIt's no longer possible to be a "designer unicorn."Updated 1 month ago
Design Details Podcast
Design Details is a weekly conversation about design process and culture. I’ve been a co-host on the show for over five years.
- 340: Versioning and Handoff in FigmaThis week, we share our tips and tricks for staying organized in Figma, simplifying the engineering handoff, and not getting bogged down in pages hell. This, plus some follow up, cool things, and a little social distancing check-in.
- 339: The New iPadOS CursorThis week, we dissect the newest iPad Pro and its new adaptive cursor, speculating on the future of cursor-touch hybrid interactions. Marshall also shares early feedback on a new prototyping tool and we find escapism in our cool things.
- 338: Passive Income and How To Give Advice (feat. Meg Lewis)This week, we catch up with Meg Lewis, a designer, coach, writer, speaker, business-owner, podcaster, and all-around fun human being. We talk about building passive income streams, how to give advice, having strong opinions, and facing public criticism – among many other things. And as always, we share our cool things of the week included a very timely hygiene product, new mobile apps, and a YouTube playlist.
- 337: The Metagame of DesignThis week, we discuss the metagame of product design, thinking out loud about the skills we do in between the craft work that help us to be more effective, have more impact, and grow faster in our careers. As always, we dig into followup, talk about some *fleet*ing news, and share our cool things of the week!
- 336: Learning by DoingThis week, we discuss practical tips to level up your visual interface design skills, including tracing and focusing on a "learning by doing" mindset. And as always, we share our cool finds of the week including a new notes application and a creative TV show.
There’s a lot of work in the design process that is boring, tedious, and repetitive. I like to make plugins to help automate it away.
- Dominant Color ToolkitGenerate a palette from an image to magically populate your designs.
- ResponsifyQuickly test your designs across multiple device sizes.
- iOS Export SettingsApplies the correct export settings for every required iOS App Icon size and density.
- Export .zipEasily export assets from Figma directly into a .zip file.
- GitHub DataPopulate data from GitHub into Figma mocks
Open source work
- specfm / design-detailsThe code that powers designdetails.fm.
- brian-lovin-nextThe code that powers this website you’re looking at.
- security-checklistA checklist for staying safe on the internet.
- withspectrum / spectrumSimple, powerful online communities.
- specfm / spec-nextA podcast network to help designers and developers level up.
Speaking and interviews
- Building for open sourceRyan Nystrom and I talk about designing and building the mobile apps at GitHub.
- Extend what’s possible with Figma Plugins - Figma ConfigAn exploration into the plugins I built to automate the tedious parts of designing mobile apps at GitHub.
- Designing with GraphQL - GraphQL SummitExploring the possibilities that open up when designers and developers can speak the same language.
- Interface Lovers InterviewAn interview about how I got into design, my process, and past work.
- Charmander++ – Interviewing ourselves on Design DetailsBryn Jackson and I interviewed each other. Totally humble.
In-depth explorations of visual and interaction design in well-known apps.